Friday, December 19, 2008

My Cat Likes Refried Beans and other things I've learned this crazy Christmas Season

So, it's been awhile since I've been able to make it to the store for cat food. My poor spoiled cat won't just eat dry food but insists on having something mushy to moisten his pallet. I was completely out of cat food and was searching for something to feed him so he would stop rubbing on my leg and biting at my toes. I'd already used up the remains of the turkey lunch meat on him the night before. The only thing mushy I had in the house was refried beans and voila! he liked them. I drug the kids to the pet store last night (which they actually love to do) and now my kitty is happy as a clam now that his pantry is restocked.

Speaking of the pet store -let me digress with a funny story...When we lived in Virginia and got to hang out with our favorite blogger Andrea and her first born, it was inevitable that whatever phase Nick was going through or new trick he learned, Emma would follow by about a week. It became uncanny to me but great because I always new what I was in for. It was always about a week to the day that Emma would say or do something that Nick had done the week before. Anyway, when I rushed the kids through the pet store last night and tricked them out the door without getting their fill on guinea pigs and geckos they were not happy with me. Emma exclaimed: "that's fine mom...I'm just going to run away then if your not going to let me see the animals!". I had to chuckle because it had been exactly a week since I Annie had posted about Nicks threats to run away. It's good to hear that even though we're so far apart, I can count on Nick to keep me one step ahead in the parenting game.


Anyway, back to things I"ve learned this Christmas season:

Glue sticks are meant for kids crafts and not for making Christmas cards. If you get your card and your tree has fallen off because the glue stick from the 99 cents store didn't hold up, well, then...I'm sorry. I obviously didn't learn this tip in time. And if you don't get a card from me, well, then...Merry Christmas!

Don't decide to make handmade Christmas cards, a scrapbook for a friend, several baby blankets and 15 plates of homemade goodies all one week before Christmas while at the same time volunteering to run your daughters kindergarten Christmas party. I guess it just wouldn't be the Christmas season without a little bit of stress though - it keeps me on my toes. I'm looking forward to this next week of R&R now that everything is done (except the wrapping) and hoping the kids new toys will keep them occupied for a few days while I slip into a deep sleep after downing a box of Sees candy!

Don't forget the true meaning of Christmas. I love the Little People Nativity set we have that the kids can play with and learn about the true meaning of Christmas. Ben said "Jesus" for the first time today and it was so darn cute because he adds a little lisp to it. I'm trying, in all this holiday madness, to teach my children that Christmas isn't just about the toys and the parties, but it is a time to celebrate the birth and life of our Savior. This year I told them that we each get 3 presents from Santa to represent the 3 presents the wise men gave to the baby Jesus. I thought it was a good way to keep things simple and at the same time give some meaning to a wonderful tradition of giving and receiving.

3 comments:

Alison Wonderland said...

I can't tell you how many times I've run into the three gifts thing this year. Alright, I get it already, I'll only give 3 gifts.

Jenny said...

I know! It's so funny. I seriously came up with this on my own without hearing it from anyone else and since I've thought of it I've heard of at least 3 other people doing the same thing! So I find it interesting that you have heard of other people doing it as well.

Alyson said...

We have the Little People set also, and it makes me happy to have a nativity set that the kids can arrange, rearrange, spread across the room and put back together again...
It is a challenge to keep the focus on Christ this time of year - our favorite holiday tradition is re-enacting the nativity story each Christmas Eve. Each year gets better and better!