Sunday, December 21, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest things

I mentioned last week I had to drag everyone to the pet store for food. The reason we were at the pet store and not say...Target where I usually buy cat food is because I actually needed to go to Staples to finish up a present for a friend. Staples and Petsmart are right next to each other so when I pulled into the parking lot and saw Petsmart I thought to myself "who-hoo, two birds with one stone". So as we were meandering around Staples checking things off my list I warned the kids that IF they wanted to go next door and see the animals then they MUST behave while mommy tries to finish her shopping.

Now, we all know that was an empty threat because we all know I HAD to get cat food and what crazy mom is going to waste a walk next door to finish an errand as opposed to loading and unloading three kids somewhere else to accomplish said errand? NOT ME. But I made the threat just the same. After two warnings for their behavior in the store I said "that's it! we're not going to the pet store to see the animals, I've had enough!" At which point they started begging and pleading.."please mom, we'll behave now, we prooommmise, pleeaasse!" and a few tears were shed.

I was actually going to stick to my guns on this one and I said "Nope, sorry. I gave you warnings and now we've lost the chance" to which Emma retorts "but mom...don't you remember Jonah! God gives everyone a second chance. And if God can give everyone a second chance than so should you!" How do I reply to that? I caved of course. "Alright"...I said. "One more chance and that's it". They actually did behave the rest of the time and if Jacob started acting up Emma would whisper to him to stop so we could go to the pet store.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

so cute, too bad i'm not as good of a teacher because i don't think my kids know who jonah is :) sorry about the run away comments - i'm telling you, those kids were cut out of the same mold!

Sheri said...

That is so cute.. thanks for sharing!

The Monkeys said...

So funny. I have had that same kind of situation- empty threats, because there was no way you were really going to leave the 5 year old home by himself, etc. I like Emma's thoughts, though.