Sunday, December 14, 2008

Another Beliver

For those of you who don't know, I believed in Santa Claus until I was about 11 or 12. I got the news from reading my mom's Redbook magazine, where a reader wrote in about whether or not to tell her kids that Santa wasn't real. I was devastated. All of those years I spent fighting and arguing with my nonbelieving friends, I remember clear as day insisting to my friend Kajal (who didn't celebrate Christmas) that she just didn't believe, that you had to believe in order for Santa to come to your house.

So we were reading scriptures tonight about faith and I asked Nick what he thinks faith is. We talked about knowing that something is true even if we can't see it, and he says "Mom, some of my friends at school say that Santa isn't real. But I know he is. My friends Charlie and Preston and Wesley, we know that Santa is real even though the others say he isn't." Can you imagine how thrilled I was to hear this? I LOVE the magic of Christmas and I am so glad to have a true believer in the family!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are having the same issue this year, and luckily, Ethan too believes. His Kindergarten friends are expressing their doubts but he is holding strong. This website helped; it allows you to add your child's pic and it sends them an email that is an insanely realistic video!
http://family.go.com/santas-list/
--Jodi

Lisa said...

Who tells 5-6 year olds that Santa isn't real??!!! I'm glad to hear that Nick and his friends are holding strong.

Andrea said...

Lisa, my guess is that they are kids who don't celebrate Christmas or they have a bratty older sibling :)

Natalie Black said...

I believed until first grade when some girls spilled the beans at lunch one day. I argued with them and said "I'll ask my mom...we'll see..." Anyway, my mom told me the truth and it was devastating. Good for Nick!

Lisa said...

Good point Andrea! Apparently I've been in the land of no diversity for a little too long. :)