Sunday, September 21, 2008

Watch out Virginia....

here come the smear ads! The one thing I despise the most about campaign season is all of the ridiculous commercials from both sides trying to smear the other side. It happens every election yet somehow the media always acts so surprised when the mud slinging starts happening. Cracks me up. Anyway, it looks like they are headed your way Virginia so be prepared. I'm sure you'll see lots of fun ads over the next month and a half until election day.

I don't really want to get into a political discussion but I have to say I have been so intrigued by this election I felt I just had to talk about it a little bit. I'll admit I'm not a politically savvy person. I do try to do my civic duty by being informed on issues and voting at election time. But honestly, the political rhetoric and mudslinging just gets on my nerves and I try to stay away from it. This is the first election in a long time where I can remember being so interested in the candidates and feeling like there is so much at stake.

When I first started listening to Barack Obama, I have to admit I was somewhat interested...even though I do consider myself as a conservative republican. I thought maybe he would bring around the change we needed. However, the more I've listened to him and more importantly learned where he stands on the issues, the more I've realized he is not the candidate for me. I'm not suggesting to anyone how they should vote - just sharing my opinion. And, if you are a conservative and you have been swayed by him to maybe vote different this time around - all I'm saying is make sure you know where he stands on the issues - especially with marriage and taxes! I think it's more important now than ever to really understand where each candidate falls on the policies that are important to you and make sure you vote accordingly.

So, I'm finding myself back on my own party lines with McCain and Palin who I do think will make a great team. I do have to say one thing about Sarah Palin though - I've watched basically everything I can on her - tried to learn what she's all about and where she stands on the issues. I do like her, but I just get this gut feeling about her that goes along with the saying - "if something looks too good to be true than it probably is". I don't know why I have this reaction to her and I am voting for the Republican ticket. I just have a feeling that down the road things will happen or come out that will change how we look at her. I feel like the media and the democrats are just trying to tear her apart right now so I do feel bad for her on that front.

Anyway, that's my take on things. I like the Republican ticket this time because I just think they will be willing to cross party lines to really shake things up in Washington and get stuff done. Even though they do have very conservative views (which I don't mind because I do too), I feel like they aren't trying to impose those views on others but more willing to work on issues that will help the better good of the nation which is what we really need right now.

So please feel free to share your take on this election. I'm really interested to hear what other people have to say and if you are finding this election as intriguing as I am. And please, let's everyone respect each other's opinions. That's what's great about our nation - we are free to think and vote however we want.

2 comments:

Christina said...

This month my ward's book club did a "choose your own biography," so I chose to read Obama's Dreams from my Father (which is actually an autobiography). It has been a fascinating read! My husband asked me if I will be reading a book by McCain too (to balance things out), and I realized that I really should, and would even like to. As biased as I am, I am striving this election to educate myself as much as possible. I highly recommend the memoir by Obama, but I'd love some recommendations for books by or about McCain. Anyone?

The Monkeys said...

It has been an interesting year. I never heard of so many Republicans thinking of switching sides. I am an independent and so there is no switching sides here, just finding out who is right for me. Guess I better get on with it, though!