Friday, September 12, 2008

Chili From a Can

Now that we're finally settled, I decided to put my new kitchen to work tonight and baked some chocolate chip cookies and the world's BEST coconut banana bread with lime glaze (sorry grandma, but I just retired your recipe for this one). I'm not much of a baker on a regular basis, usually just around the holidays, but it was relaxing tonight to work on something other than the house. Anyway it's almost midnight and as I was washing my dishes, I was thinking about the discovery my college roommate and I made sometime during our sophomore year. I think she was hunting for some chili in a can for dinner, which was the first time I had ever heard of chili in a can after growing up with my mom-the-gourmet-cook. She was equally shocked, having grown up on get-your-own-cold cereal-for-dinner, that anyone actually made their own chili. While I don't have the time for full-blown gourmet cooking right now, I am definitely looking forward to fall and homemade chili soon!

4 comments:

merathon said...

since you're all settled in, we demand pictures of the new house!

Natalie Black said...

Haha, I tell people that story all the time! I can't believe you bought a new house! Yay! I guess I REALLY need to call you...

Andrea said...

i was trying to keep you anonymous nat! did i say settled? the boxes are unpacked, well most of them but i can't find my dead camera battery charger so there must be some hiding somewhere. nothing on the walls, no furniture to fill the front half of the house. so if you want to see it, you have to come visit!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your baking already, I haven't cooked anything except TJ's frozen pizza in my oven yet. (that is when it's working) I'm with you on chili from a can - yuck. I was lucky to have a good cook for a mom too - unfortunately I didn't inherit the gene like you did though. I miss your cooking...:)