Sunday, September 7, 2008

The good times and the bad...

Moving has been quite an experience this time around. We've had some good times and some not so good times. Here's the breakdown:

Good times:
  • Being able to unpack things into a cupboard without craming them in, and still having extra space left over. It's so nice having more space!!
  • Being able to stand in my bedroom and not hearing anyone else in the house!
  • The willingness of friends and family to help - our first week here it felt like 2 steps forward and 5 steps back every day! Then my mom came to visit for a week and Dave's parents came up on Saturday and with all of us here we really got a lot done.
  • The pool, the pool, the pool....I know it's probably going to be expensive to run - time will tell...but the kids LOVE it! As do Dave and I. It's so nice to go in the backyard and jump in or have friends over for lunch and swimming. I see lots of years of use coming from that pool!
  • Listening to the boys all taking a shower together in our gargantuan Master Bath shower ( a little too big actually) but it was fun to hear Dave, Jacob, and Ben playing in the shower while I laid in bed.
  • Our neighbors are fantastic! They've all brought over cookies, little maps of the cul-de-sac and who lives where. They are very excited to have a young family move in.
Not so good times:
  • Unpacking...ugh, it's going so slow.
  • Unpacking with three kids running around pulling things out of boxes. Finding my spatula in a bedroom somewhere and band aids scattered all over the house.
  • Flooding in our hallway, bathrooms, laundry room, dining room kitchen and family room. Three days of carpet pulled up all over the house and fans blowing. Sometimes white noise can get annoying.
  • Dealing with plumbers, electricians, pool people, handyman, ac company etc. It seems every time someone comes to fix something another thing breaks. The electrician came to fix a few wiring problems we knew about before moving in and now my pool equipment and ovens don't work...thank goodness for the home warranty.
  • My bones....oh my aching bones. I guess I'm getting old.
  • Wanting everything you want done to your house done like yesterday, but knowing it's not going to be done for a looong time. We've bought somewhat of a "project" and I just have to be patient. But it's hard.

1 comment:

Natalie C. said...

Wow- I'm so sorry about the challenges. But I think that's so cool about your neighbors! Unbelievable. I miss the friendliness of the west coast sometimes. (I used to live in San Diego, and when I visited there a few years ago I had already become so closed & east coast, it almost blew my mind how friendly strangers were to each other.)

I am at Trader Joe's every single week. That will be fun to try out your recipe soon! :)