Monday, May 11, 2009

Sayings as of Late

We were at the local "farm" watching the ducks in their yard. Two ducks jumped in the water and one of the ducks jumped on top of the other and they starting "wrestling". At first I thought it was going to be one of those moments I would have to explain nature at its finest to my kids. Then it looked as if they ducks were really just playing as they jumped on each other, grabbed each others necks, and dove under the water. Jacob said" now that's what I call duck, duck, goose.

Last week at church the kids Sunday School lesson was on The Word of Wisdom. (for our non mormon readers that is the health code Mormons live by). At dinner that night the kids were questioning me on what alcohol is and what it does to us. I told them it makes us not be able to think straight. "oh..." Emma said. "So if somebody had alcohol then they would think things like 2+1=0?" And she started laughing and laughing at the thought of someone actually thinking 2+1=0. Jacob was cracking up to and they thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Ben is just full of words lately and is having a great time learning to communicate for what he wants. He is a total copycat and since he has 2 older sibling to copy...some of his finest moments are: Dancing around in his bedroom singing "poopy face, poopy face" (even though he doesn't know what that means). Saying "ewww, gwoss" (gross) when I put his dinner down in front of him, and of course the favorite word of the day is no, No, NO! He is such a cute little guy he's hard to resist. Especially when he says "sowry" (sorry) or "I wuv you".

We are having a huge, HUGE problem lately with arguing and bickering. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please...PLEASE? I'm dying. I'm about ready to sell my eldest two offspring, for really, really cheap...free even. Right now I can't even contemplate a summer ahead full of constant fighting so I need some help and fast!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

after spring break, i was thinking the same thing about bickering over the summer. if you come up with any great ideas, let me know!

Alyson said...

I just finished reading a book that suggested instead of yelling, punishing, etc. when kids fight to have them say and do something nice about/for the other one. Sort of a "kill it with kindness" approach. So each time they argue or fight, they then have to point out something nice about the other and then perform a small act of service. I haven't tried this yet, I'm enjoying a kid-free week in Hawaii. But I think this will be my new approach when I get back. Good luck!