Sunday, May 10, 2009

Blogging from a Hammock in OBX

Happy Mother's Day to me. After a scrumptious breakfast of crepes with too many delicious toppings to list, I enjoyed a LONG, QUIET nap on a hammock, listening to the waves crash and seagulls squawk on a picture-perfect day in the Outer Banks, NC. Life is definitely good, but you should know me and my kids better by now if you thought we also had a quiet, peaceful drive down here from NOVA.

UGH! I am already plotting a car-swap for our trip down here in June with my parents and some extended family because Nick is definitely not riding with me! He is the biggest whiner I know. But why are two out of your three children mostly naked in the photo below, you might ask? We stopped for some Pierce's famous BBQ in Williamsburg (and note-to-self, I'm not really sure why it's so famous) and Nicholas slid into a huge mud puddle. Of course his bag of clothes were buried so we stripped him down and he spent the second half of the ride in his undies. But the most embarrassing moment definitely goes to Gavin. See, he's been having some major blowouts thanks to his antibiotics (if you haven't heard, we spent all of last week down with strep). So the poor guy had one in the Sonic parking lot and it was just a disaster. I'm talking shoulders to heels, stuck on like glue. Shawn hit our call button and asked for a cup of ice, but after only a few minutes of pouring ice-cold water all over our child in the grass, we realized that 1) we were torturing him and 2) it was not effective. I have been in a lot of embarrassing situations with my kids, but it was definitely one of my finest, picking up a naked, poo-covered kid and haul him past the drive-thru line into the bathroom for an impromptu bath in the sink. Disgusting.

But we finally made it in time to check out the beach before dark and then swim in the pool until way past bedtime. Enter hammock-snuggling and blogging on a picture perfect afternoon. Worth the embarrassment and whining for sure. Impromptu poo bath at Sonic still debatable.



7 comments:

Bridges Family said...

Oh my "stinkin" heck! That is hilarious and I would definitely say the hammock nap was well worth the embarassment. Wishing we were there .... and I may think twice about using the potty / sink at Sonic.:)

The Monkeys said...

Way too funny! Sounds gorgeous down there, though. We have only gone once, but it was our hands down favorite vacation!

Cari said...

Ha, ha, ha! I love those pictures! Hope the drive home will be less eventful. Why don't you leave the kids in your car with Shawn and you can jump in my car for the beach trip in June?

Jenny said...

Hmmm...you guys don't have good road trips when it comes to diarrhea. I'm glad my kid isn't the only one who tortured you with bodily fluids! HaHa! I'm soooo jealous you guys are there. We're thinking of going again next summer.

Rob and Jewls said...

hilarious!!! Always an adventure in the DuBravac household! I am glad you posted. I am glad you got some relaxing time on Mother's Day...you deserve it! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, you made me laugh out loud! That trip is notorious for us too. Two years ago, Aaron and I drove down to OBX and went CRAZY in the car with the kiddos. We decided to order a DVD player to be delivered to our beach house for the ride home. We didn't realize that Ethan would get ridiculously car sick upon viewing two minutes of a video! By the time we got home, Ethan was wearing crocks and underwear and we had all of the windows down....trash bags filled with nasty clothes....oh the memories! We really will look back one day and laugh!

~Jodi

Shae said...

What an adventure...that is too funny!