Thursday, February 26, 2009

One Proud Mama

I just had to take a minute and jot down this moment for posterity's sake. Tonight at reading time Emma read me the whole book of Green Eggs and Ham! The whole book! I was so proud of her I was beaming. She really read it to, word for word. Lots of books we've read frequently she has memorized and just spouts them off but tonight she was actually reading the words. If she said something wrong or forgot a preposition she would correct herself and get it right. I lavished praise on her when she finished and she was so proud of herself as well. She's been reading lots of smaller books but GE&H is pretty long and I thought she'd get tired half way through but she didn't.

Green Eggs & Ham has a special place in my heart because it's one of my Grandma's favorite books. She was a High School teacher (is retired now) and I can still remember walking in her class one year and she was reading it to her high school students. She introduced Dr. Suess to me at a young age and I've always had a soft spot for him in my heart.

Way to go Emma! I'm so proud of you.

3 comments:

Alyson said...

Isn't that exciting? I think that's one of the milestones that has made me happiest, just watching their little brains kick in and do what they're supposed to! Jack is doing the same right now, and I never get tired of listening to him read!

Anonymous said...

That is the same age you were when you read my your first book.

Anonymous said...

Let's try that again...


That is the same age you were when you read me your first book