Thursday, February 26, 2009

How Facebook Ruined My Blog

A girl only has so much time a day to spend on the computer. I'm trying to set a good example for my children by making that time less rather than more. Then along came Facebook. Why oh why did I ever join? Am I as snoopy as everyone else. Stalking people I knew from ages ago just to see how they turned out. Combing through pictures of people I knew from yesteryear to see if the pretty ones still are pretty and the old boyfriends are still hot... or not? It's an addiction I tell you, and one I'm starting to resent.

When I log on to the computer, instead of going to my blog to update my life I find myself logging on to Facebook and checking out who's updating their profile pic and what everybody's "status" is. Honestly...I really don't need to know what my x boyfriend from high school is having for dinner! But somehow I'm intruigued and I keep going back for more. People from all phases of my life have found me on Facebook - including a classmate from like 2nd grade who I didn't even remember at first. It's been intriguing to me why people contact me after so many years, why do they even care what I'm doing and what does that say about me that I didn't contact them or sometimes even remember their name.

Not only is it taking away from my blog time but making me censor what I say because I have a link to my blog on my Facebook so I can't really talk about anyone who reads my Facebook in case they read my blog! I'd love to tell the story of this one xbeu which goes into the category of "what was I thinking?" but I can't now (he's a friend on Facebook)...Instead I find myself sending emails to so-and-so saying "can you believe this person that contacted me" and did you see so-and-so is on Facebook! I guess I could remove the link but who knows now who's lurking on my blog.

Don't get me wrong...I have found some awsome people from the past - like missionary friends who I never thought I would see or hear from again, and it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family that I see all the time anyway. But there are sometimes I just think "hmmm? why the heck does this person want to be my friend (cyberly speaking) and do I really want them seeing what's going on in my life? Past boyfriends that maybe would be better off left up to the unknown...people from high school that didn't like me then so why now?...and then their are people who are friends of friends who I really don't even know asking to be my friend. Is it like a "friends" race to see who can have the most friends?

Some days I feel like maybe I should just close down my account so I can go back to spending time on things more important...but then I think the curiosity would kill me!

4 comments:

Alyson said...

I have the same addiction! But isn't it secretly fun too? It's all about balance my friend...

Clarkson said...

You're so funny. I recently became a facebooker and ya - it's addicting.

The Monkeys said...

Very funny, yet sadly true. Thankfully, I haven't found any old boyfriends who want to be my friend yet!

Sheri said...

Just caught up on your blog.. before facebook, and my own blog.. I used to check everyday to see what you would write! Everything is so true :) Love the random photo's! Happy birthday tomorrow! Love, Sheri