Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Heart Valentine's Day


I just love an extra day to tell people how much I love them. I tell my family everyday but I like the thought of celebrating love. In the past, I always made handmade cards and mailed them out with candy and such. Since my craft stuff is still all packed up in boxes out in the guest house closet - I don't see that happening this year. It makes me a little sad but there is always next year.

I always hear people talk about how commercialized holidays have become. My thought is that the STORES have commercialized the holidays, but that doesn't mean WE have to commercialize them. Holidays are fun, memory building times to spend with family and it can simple and cheap. I love to celebrate holidays.

Here is a fun link of crafts/activities to do for Valentines day. Last year, I made heart shaped chicken nuggets, heart shaped jello, and pink mashed potatoes. I don't think anyone got as big a kick out of it as I did but that's okay. I like starting traditions while my kids are young, even though they don't appreciate it or totally understand it. That way, by the time the are old enough to get it - I'm already in the habit and haven't passed up an opportunity. They seem to grow so fast that sometimes I find myself wishing I would have done things differently and realizing it's to late. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

Happy Heart Day to everyone and I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Alison Wonderland said...

Well, happy Valentine's day to you too.