Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Hate the Phone company...

and I always have. Ever since we were first married and I spent hours on the phone with them trying to resolve some problem. I don't even remember what it was about or why I was disputing with them but I was...and it made me so angry...and I've NEVER FORGIVEN THEM FOR IT. I thought when phone service was deregulated and competition was introduced to the phone industry finally, FINALLY, we would get good service. But no...it still stinks.

Well this week my anger was renewed. We signed up for new service when we moved with phone company "B" because at our last house we had phone company "A" and they were a pain in the neck to deal with. With phone company "A" I tried for 3 weeks to get International calling on my phone to no avail. I finally gave up. So, I signed up with company "B" positive that I would get better service there. WRONG AGAIN. Here's the scoop:

When I signed up for phone and Internet as a bundle package I was told I wouldn't have to pay for my wireless modem they would provide me with. So...I signed up. Then somewhere near the end of the call the service rep threw in the fact that the charge for the modem would show up on my first bill but don't worry...I would be receiving a VISA gift card to cover the costs (another pet peeve - companies telling you things are free when they are NOT free - you just get some kind of rebate from them that SOMETIMES shows up and sometimes doesn't - as in my case).

I got my first bill, with the charge for the modem and I called the company. I informed them I wasn't paying for the modem until I got my VISA gift card. Oh..don't worry, I was assured, it will come soon. Monday I get a call telling me my service will be disconnected if I don't pay my bill. So, on goes the chase for finding my VISA gift card before I pay for the modem:

800-288-2020
877-258-1427
800-228-5015
800-310-2355

Those are the 4 different numbers I was given by phone company "B" while trying to track down my VISA card. I was on hold at least 15-20 minutes at each number.

I was told - oh you don't qualify. Um, yes I do I insisted. I was told - there's no supervisor for you to talk to right now, they are in a meeting. Um - what? I was told I would be called back in 24 hours - have I? No! I was told I had to call this number and ask them do to a 3 way call with this department because this department couldn't see my account information, but they are the ones who dole out the rewards. But they don't have a capability to call a different department. Are you kidding me? So I have to hang up, call someone else, sit on hold for another 20 minutes, and ask them to do a 3 way call. After I tried this twice and got disconnected both times, I GIVE UP! And seriously - you are my phone company - if we get disconnected in the middle of our conversation and you KNOW I need help...can't you call me back? You have my number!

YOU GOT ME PHONE COMPANY. YOU WIN. After 2 HOURS of sitting on hold, calling different people, being transferred around and arguing with rep after rep - my time just isn't worth it anymore and I think they know it. I think behind the scenes there is an evil little boss man laughing as he tries to totally frustrating anyone trying to squeeze a penny out of the phone company. I imagine him tracking my number as I make call after call and laughing aloud as he exclaims - "Ha! She will never survive without the Internet - she uses it for recipes, phone numbers, and a little adult conversation...let her try and track down that VISA card - SHE'LL NEVER FIND IT! HA HA HA HA!" They know I'll cave and pay my bill because me and the Internet - we're tight. We depend on each other.

Phone company - I hate you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh... They do know they got ya...

One of my favorite lines from a 411 operator...

where is Longa Beacha? She was looking in TEXAS!!

Grandma Howton

Bridges Family said...

I SO agree with you. I have been in your EXACT shoes! Hang in there, tomorrow will be a better day. Love your blogs.

Stephanie Bridges
Past Kingstowne Ward member

Sheri said...

Don't give up on account of principal! Those people drive me nuts.. I've been there too. Try emailing customer service... I have had better luck there recently.