Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Happy Fall Ya'all


Okay that's so cliche but I couldn't help it. I love Fall! Who doesn't right? Scarecrows on the front porch, pumpkins by the front door begging to be carved, and actually being able to pull the sweaters out of the closet (here in SoCal that only last for a few days so we really take advantage). Can't you just smell that pumpkin pie cooking in the oven...or maybe not!

One of my favorite Fall traditions is making my favorite Pumpkin Bars recipe courtesy of our long lost blogger friend Annie. I love these things! I make them every year - several times in fact. I love giving them out to neighbors and taking them to any Fall Festivities we might be attending. Imagine my surprise when I went to Vons last week to stock up on my canned pumpkin for the season only to find out there is a NATIONWIDE CANNED PUMPKIN SHORTAGE! Whaaat? At first I thought the teenage clerk helping me just didn't know what aisle the pumpkin was on (I couldn't find it anywhere) and was trying to brush me off. But after he confirmed with his manager that the shelves were empty and he didn't know when any would be coming in - I was shocked. One more thing to add to my food storage - canned pumpkin. Who would have thought.

I looked it up on the Internet when I got home and sure enough there is a shortage. "They" say not to worry, production will catch up but I'm not taking any chances. I bought the last three cans they had a Stater Brothers and I'm keeping my eyes open for more. Have you tried to pie canned pumpkin this year? Am I being punked or is there really a shortage?

3 comments:

Qwendykay said...

There really is a pumpkin shortage. It's legit. Also Water Chestnuts...

Did you try TJ's? Also my friend raves that you have to try making your own pumpkin puree. She claims it's ridiculously easy. You can buy Pie Pumpkins at sprouts for cheap.

Also.. are you aware of the rules of the world wide interwebs that if you rave about a recipe... you have to post it? ;)

Jenny said...

PS Wendy- so sorry! I meant to link it to the recipe and forgot. All is now fixed and I'm www copasetic! PPS. My dad found my 5 more cans today so I"m set for awhile. I almost had to resort to making my own.

Anonymous said...

She made me some this week for my birthday....yummy...thanks Jenny

Love,
Grandma H