Thursday, January 14, 2010

My kids have me in Stitches

If there is one thing motherhood does is bring out all of your emotions - pretty much on a daily basis. The last couple of days I've been getting a lot of laughter from the things my kids have been saying. It's hard to relay how funny the conversations are when you can't see the expressions on their faces or be in the moment but I'll attempt to do my best.

Last night the kids and I were watching American Idol together. They were super into it and loved seeing people sing. Every time someone got through to Hollywood they would cheer and jump up and down right along with the contestant. When Simon Cowell rolled his eyes and one of the other judges made a big deal about it, they tried to roll their eyes too - I wish I had it captured on video. Emma rolls her eyes side to side somewhat like and owl and Jacob just raises his eyebrows up and down. I'm sure in another couple of years they will have the eye rolling down to a tee so I'm in no hurry for that one. Anyway, towards then end of the show this long haired rocker type dude came on who could barely mumble out his words when he spoke so you know his singing was going to be bad. The judges asked him what he was going to sing. He said "Every Time We Touch" by Ascada. I guess Jacob didn't hear what he said because he asked "what did he say he was going to sing?" and Emma belts out in dead seriousness "Everytime I Get Touched by a Mosquito!" "ohhhh" Jacob replied. Oh my, I lost it then. I was already giggling with the eye rolling competition but that sent me over the edge laughing. The kids looked at me strangely and couldn't figure out what I was laughing about. I didn't have the heart to tell them he wasn't singing about mosquitoes.

Yesterday Jacob was playing this High School Musical dance mat game we have and he pointed to the blond girl and asked "what's her name again?" I couldn't remember her name either and then he said "I think it's Sharptooth". Then I remember her name was Charpe. I think he's watched one too many dinosaur movies.

This morning Ben didn't like the shirt I put on him. I found him going through his shirt drawer looking for another one. I said "can I help you find a new shirt?" He agreed. The conversation went something like this:

Mom: this one?
Ben: Actually, no that one is Jacob's
Mom: Oh, okay, how about this one?
Ben: No, that one doesn't have a picture on it
Mom: This one?
Ben: No, that one has a pocket on it.
Mom: Okay...How about this one?
Ben: No, that on belongs to peoples
Mom: Well Ben, what shirt do you want to wear?
Ben looks thoughtfully through the discarded pile of shirts "how about this one?" as he pulls out the one with the pocket.
Mom: okay, and I start pulling it over his head only to be met with fierce resistance
Ben : No! that one has a pocket!
Finally we settle on one with trucks on it that he originally claimed to be Jacobs. I have to say I was quite impressed with his vocabulary after the conversation but even more impressed by his sense of style. Dump trucks way outshine a silly pocket.

No comments: